Canoochee EMC: 1938 to Today
In the late 1930's, a few citizens of Tattnall County decided that they wanted electricity and they were tired of waiting for it. Mrs. C.P. Durrence was an important figure in the beginning of our co-op, and she would be proud of what she helped to create.
Canoochee EMC was first incorporated in 1938, bringing electricity to the rural areas of Southeast Georgia. Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal brought the Rural Electrification Act (REA), and with it places like our region were first able to provide power to rural America. We were part of this program, the REA.
Today we serve 15,000 members in parts of nine Southeast Georgia counties and we also maintain the electrical system for Hunter Army Airfield and Fort Stewart.